Knowledge Is Power
Here’s testing your Toyota knowledge, true or false style (answers below):
1. The Camry — not the ones AJ and BV drive — has been the best-selling car in America nine of the past 10 years.
2. Todd Bodine gave Toyota its first NASCAR victory when he won the 2004 Craftsman Truck race at Michigan.
3. Toyota and its dealers employ about 145,000 workers worldwide.
4. Toyota is in the infant stages of building a NASCAR support facility outside Charlotte, N.C.
5. Red Bull Racing holds the distinction of earning Toyota its first top-five and top-10 finishes in Nextel Cup competition.
6. More than half of all Camrys sold in the U.S. last year were produced at the Toyota plant in Georgetown, Ky.
7. Toyota is so committed to American motorsports that it supplies engines for short-track midget racing.
8. Toyota’s initial involvement with NASCAR came in 2004 when it entered the Craftsman Truck Series.
9. Toyota’s NASCAR programs are managed from company headquarters in Aichi, Japan.
10. Toyota’s slogan in its native Japan is “Drive Your Dreams.” In the U.S., it’s “Moving Forward.”
Answers: 1. True; 2. False (Travis Kvapil); 3. False (145,000 in the U.S. alone); 4. True; 5. True; 6. False (more than 90 percent); 7. True; 8. False (in 2001, the Toyota Celica competed in the former Goody’s Dash Series); 9. False (Torrance, Calif.); 10. True.