Study Up: It's Pop Quiz Time
Get your No. 2 pencils and Scantron sheets ready, because you’ve just been hit with a true-or-false pop quiz on Watkins Glen International, which happens to be Red Bull Racing’s next stop on the Nextel Cup circuit (see answers below):
1. Watkins Glen is known simply as “The Glen.”
2. Watkins Glen uses the same configuration for its Nextel Cup and IRL IndyCar Series races.
3. Watkins Glen is the only track on the Nextel Cup schedule where cars pit to the right.
4. Bobby Labonte won three straight Busch Series races from 1995-1997.
5. A series of four quick turns — turns five, six, seven and eight — along the backstretch is known as the outer loop.
6. Jeff Gordon owns the fastest qualifying lap in a stock car.
7. The longest professional race at Watkins Glen lasts six hours.
8. For 20 years, Watkins Glen was the home of the United States Grand Prix.
9. A man named Watkins Glen drew up the plans for a 6.6-mile course that hosted the first race in 1948.
10. Brian Vickers, Red Bull Racing’s driver of the No. 83, has never finished in the top 10 in his three visits to Watkins Glen.
Answers: 1. True; 2. False (long/grand prix course, 3.4 miles; short/NASCAR course, 2.45 miles); 3. True; 4. False (Terry Labonte); 5. False (inner loop); 6. True (124.580 mph in 2003); 7. True (Grand Am’s Six Hours at The Glen); 8. True (1961-1980); 9. False (Cameron Argetsinger); 10. False (BV finished eighth in 2005).