Two Days of Testing
Brian Vickers has slipped, slid and saved it around Lowe’s Motor Speedway in nine Sprint Cup races. Mike Skinner’s total (15) nearly doubles that.
Scott Speed, however, has tackled the 1.5-mile track only once — and that start came in a Craftsman Truck, not in NASCAR’s Car of Tomorrow and certainly not against Cup’s caliber of talent.
“I’m playing catch-up here,” Speed said Tuesday. “There’s absolutely no substitute for experience. In a series like this, where everyone’s got so much of it and you’re coming in with so little, every week I’m out racing or driving, it’s really quite helpful.”
The ARCA points leader and part-time trucker is testing the No. 82 Red Bull Toyota for two days. He was second fastest in Tuesday’s evening session, turning a lap at 184.881 mph. Mike Skinner, in the No. 84, and Brian Vickers’ No. 83 were 13th and 16th, respectively, under the lights, which comes close to the conditions cars will encounter in the Oct. 11 Bank of America 500.
“This car moves around a lot less,” Speed said. “Everything is done right on these things. The steering box, the pedal box — everything is really precise. It makes it actually easier for me to feel the car and the changes. So far, it’s been an easy transition.”
Testing continues today, with action running from 1-9 p.m. ET and a break from 5-6.
18. Mike Skinner (84), 182.162 mph
24. Scott Speed (82), 179.659 mph
28. Brian Vickers (83), 179.485 mph
Fastest: Dale Earnhardt Jr., 182.642 mph
2. Scott Speed (82), 184.881 mph
13. Mike Skinner (84), 182.871 mph
16. Brian Vickers (83), 182.741 mph
Fastest: Greg Biffle, 185.605 mph
5. Brian Vickers (83), 180.947 mph
14. Scott Speed (82), 180.270 mph
40. Mike Skinner (84), 178.436 mph
Fastest: Greg Biffle, 181.928 mph
2. Scott Speed (82), 186.638 mph
8. Mike Skinner (84), 185.433 mph
25. Brian Vickers (83), 182.896 mph
Fastest: Jeff Gordon, 187.233 mph