Monday, September 08, 2008

Speed Set for Cup Testing at Lowe's

Red Bull development driver Scott Speed will turn laps in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series open test at Lowe’s Motor Speedway on September 23 – 24. Speed will drive the No. 82 Red Bull Toyota under the watch of NASCAR officials who will assess his ability to participate in future Cup races.

Speed will test alongside teammates Brian Vickers and AJ Allmendinger. Rumors surfaced that Speed had already been privately testing a Sprint Cup car. We can confirm - those rumors were true. Speed tested at both Nashville Superspeedway and Kentucky Motor Speedway.


During the 2008 season, Speed has been running a full-time ARCA RE/MAX Series schedule under the wing of Eddie Sharp Racing, earning four wins to date. Speed has also been logging seat time in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series with Bill Davis Racing, earning his first Truck win at Dover.

10 Comments:

Blogger ochenta_y_tres! said...

I'm glad to see this happening. Deep down, I feel RBRT will find a way to allow Speed to run at least a partial Cup season next year.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Kvnsm67 said...

I'm not sure it would be fundamental to run a part-time car. If the decision is made to run Scott in the cup series, it should be for the full season. Give him a chance to make it into the top 35.

Personally, I'd like to see Brian, A.J., and Scott all in the cup series for RedBull.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Formula Mazda #10 said...

definantly kvnsm67!! ditching aj or bv would be a total waste of time and i think red bull realizes that. AJ is faster than bv at all the short tracks now... so he is definantly showing improvment. i just hope redbull doesnt get impatient and ditch a perfectly good open wheel star for another in scott speed.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This could be a good sign for AJ! All three guys testing together. If they were going to pull AJ out of the car, they probably wouldnt be letting him test. AND, they probably would have had Scott in the 84, not the 82!

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the entry list for October. If RedBull intends to have Scott in the Daytona race in February, he'll have to prove himself at Talladega first.

6:25 AM  
Anonymous tracy said...

Grr, AJ says in his Yahoo article that he only thinks it's 50/50 that he'll be back next year. That is such crap on Red Bull's part. They are just dragging their driver and their team down by doing this. It is a big hit to morale and momentum to have everything up in the air, and we all know how important those two things are. Get it together Red Bull!

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even worse that he had some really good teams contact him - but he wanted to stay with RedBull. This has to really suck for him right now.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate to say it, but i think aj is going to chip ganassi's #41. and i think red bull would be stupid to let him go...they need to retain him! this is really unfair to him, he is doing everything they have asked of him and to leave him hanging without knowing if he has a ride is just cruel.

listen up! re-sign AJ!

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate to say it, but i think aj is going to chip ganassi's #41. and i think red bull would be stupid to let him go...they need to retain him! this is really unfair to him, he is doing everything they have asked of him and to leave him hanging without knowing if he has a ride is just cruel.

listen up! re-sign AJ!

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ talks to Yahoo Sports about his future with Red Bull here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylt=A2KIRz0OFMlI4IwA.wPov7YF?slug=aa-unleashed091008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home