Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What Loose Really Feels Like


AJ Allmendinger has tackled the streets of Long Beach and the high banks of Talladega, but hardly anything can prepare him for drifting.

“I’m afraid of heights. I’m not a big fan of the water. I don’t ski or snowboard. And I don’t skateboard,” AJ said. “So when Red Bull asked me to go drifting, I was all over it.”

AJ will meet with Red Bull athlete, Formula Drift ace and stunt driver Rhys Millen on Thursday for an exhibition-style run at the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Training Center. There, Millen will help AJ learn the art of navigating a Pontiac Solstice with little grip and lots of tail whip.

“For me,” Millen said, “drifting is more about the personal reward of being able to overcome vehicle dynamics and do things that cars are not supposed to do, to position a car in an out-of-control state yet sustain control. I’m not really into cars. I don’t own a lot of cars. I just love to drive.”

Millen, a native New Zealander and current San Juan Capistrano, Calif., resident, won the Formula Drift championship in 2005 and followed up with a runner-up finish in 2006. Also an accomplished rally racer, Millen has appeared as a stunt driver in films such as “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” “The Dukes of Hazzard,” “Mr. & Mrs. Smith” and “The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.”

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess this explains why we don't usually see AJ out there doing too many of those Red Bull dare devil type stunts like BV who seems almost willing to try anything once.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BV said on Windtunnel the other night that RB is ok with them doing nothing or everything just as long as they are having fun. This looks like my kind of fun!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Kristin Weaver said...

Heck yeah! I was just reading this in AJ's blog. He sounded so bumped and excited for it. Hopefully he enjoyed himself, and had a blast at his 3rd fantasy football draft.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool is that? You guys get to have all the fun! And good luck this weekend at Fontana.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ is a cool guy, He talks like I talk, does the same dumb stuff I do- plays video games, fantasy football, loves to race, talks like a regular dude-

Makes it really easy to relate and root for the guy...

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this in AJ's Yahoo article and was excited for him. I'm sure he will have a blast and hopefully he will tell us all about it or they will get some video of it.

Drifting is fun to watch and even more fun from the driver's seat I'm sure. Wonder if he will get a chance to try his hand at it.

Who knew that what we did in the Kmart parking lot after it rained as teenagers was an actual motor sport.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a poofter....come on AJ man up....TRB will fit you for a dress soon.

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man up? So I assume that means you could go out and do what our drivers do week in and week out? I highly doubt it.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I personally understand people being afraid of stuff but with that said if I had the same opportunities Red Bull was offering I would definitely be taking advantage of stuff like BV is instead of letting it pass by like AJ is.

I think what Anon. was getting at is that when you think of a Red Bull athlete you think of someone that is extreme and with AJ being afraid of so many things he does fit completely with the other Red Bull athletes.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On BV's website, it says that he is going to be on Trackside again this Friday. I can't remember who it was before, but can they please put it up on youtube like they did for Talladega. I am at school and we don't get speed here and it kills me! Thanks!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol that would be me. Sure I'll record it.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Red Bull Teams....it's time for us to shine again! Good Luck to both teams this weekend!
Sounds like you guys have fun off the track.

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curt-thank you so much!!!

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome. If you have high speed internet, you can watch SPEED Channel on your computer by downloading TVU (tvunetworks.com). The channel is under the name "Wheels". Check it out. And yea it's totally free and no add-ware.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for that website!!!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Way to go 83 and 84 teams. Only Team to have 2 cars in the top 5!

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh you forgot about the 48 and 24 in 1st and 3rd..... Doh.

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home